As I’ve previously mentioned Daniel and myself are having to watch the pennies a little more than usual. Typically, I would do a big food shop on a Tuesday which lasts most of the week. However, this week we are having a use up week creating meals and snacks from the odds and ends left in the fridge, freezer and cupboard and I have to say we are really loving the challenge!
So today I’ve made some yummy avocado & bacon parcels perfect as a movie night snack or party canapes…dyl-icious!
Ingredients: Makes 8 parcels
Bacon & Avocado Parcels
- 2 large tortilla flat breads
- 1 ripe avocado diced
- 2 rashers of thick cut bacon
- 25g (1/4 cup) grated mature cheddar cheese
- 4 tsp salsa (as hot as you like)
- 2 tbsp finely diced onion (red or brown)
- 1/2 tbsp cornflour
- 2 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
- 1/2 tsp paprika (optional)
- 4 tbsp mayonnaise
- 1/2 tbsp chipotle paste
- 1 tbsp water
- pinch of salt and pepper
For the mayo:
- Mix all the ingredients together and set aside for serving.
For the parcels:
- Heat grill to high. Put the bacon on a grill rack for 10mins turning the bacon halfway through until crisp. Once crisp dice the bacon.
- Mix together 1/2 tablespoon of cornflour and 2 tablespoons of water together and set aside.
- Slice each tortilla into quarters until you have 8 pieces of flatbread. In a bowl mix together the bacon, avocado, cheese and diced onion.
- To assemble the parcels take each piece of flatbread. In the middle of the flatbread spoon 1/2 teaspoon of salsa and 1 heaped tablespoon of avocado and bacon mixture. Be sure to leave 1/2cm clear around all the edges.
- Brush the edges with the cornflour mixture then fold the wrap over creating a triangle shape, pinching the edges firmly to seal.
- Place the parcels on a baking tray and lightly brush each one with olive oil. Sprinkle over the sesame seeds.
- Preheat oven to 175°. Place into oven and bake for around 15mins or until the parcels have started to brown slightly.
- Serve with chipotle mayo…dyl-icious!