You won’t believe how quick, easy and super tasty these Flour Tortillas are to make…you’ll never go back to shop bought again!
I’m currently having some serious cravings for Mexican food, particularly enchiladas I can’t seem to get enough of the spice, sauce and cheese combination (you can never have enough cheese!!) just thinking about it is making my stomach grumble away!
So, first things first i need some flour tortillas…
I’d always imagined that flour tortillas would not only be difficult to make but they’d probably require unusual ingredients and specialized pans to boot. So, imagine my surprise when I discovered this super simple recipe that makes soft, savoury and seriously tasty tortillas.
- 3 cups plain flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup warm water
- Sift the flour into a large bowl, add the salt, baking powder and mix well
- Add the vegetable oil, warm water and mix well. (if you’re lucky enough to have an electric food mixer, use it! If not you can mix by hand and feel the burn like I did!)
- Continue to mix the dough until it forms a smooth ball
- Transfer the dough to a well floured surface and divide the dough into 12 fairly equal portions. Shape each portion into a smooth ball, cover the balls with a clean dry tea towel and leave to rest for approximately 20-25 mins
- After the dough has rested get a floured rolling pin and begin to roll the dough into dough circles. Alternatively if you don’t have a rolling pin, use the palm of your hand to flatten out the dough (I’ve done it this way & it works perfectly well, you might just find your tortillas are a little thicker but still yummy)
- Heat a non stick frying pan over a medium-high heat
- Once the pan is hot place one of the dough circles into the middle of the pan and cook for around 45 seconds or until the dough starts to bubble and the bottom starts to brown . At this point it’s time to flip the dough and repeat in the same way for around 30 seconds to ensure your tortillas are still nice and soft.
Serve tortillas straight away with fresh guacamole, spicy salsa or tasty basil pesto (see my super easy recipes) or make them into seriously saucy and ridiculously cheesy enchiladas Mmmmm!!